- Welcome to Schumacher North, a regional forum devoted to exploring and promoting the ideas of deep ecology, sustainable development and social transformation pioneered by E.F. Schumacher, author of ‘Small Is Beautiful’.
Schumacher North offers a varied programme of talks, courses, conferences, and practical initiatives, aimed at bringing about the sane, sustainable and compassionate world that Fritz Schumacher and his successors have envisioned.
Let’s send a message from Yorkshire to Paris!
Our festival, ‘For the Love of Yorkshire’, launches on 10 November 2015 in Leeds and York and runs until 13 December. Linking with The Climate Coalition’s UK campaign, ‘For the Love of’, our aim is to start a county-wide conversation about climate change and how we can drive solutions here at home, as well as internationally. After all, we know how great Yorkshire folk are at getting things done – so let’s lead the way!
‘Collaborative Conversations’ is an exciting programme of events, organised by Schumacher North in collaboration with a range of partner organisations and funded by the National Lottery, aimed at building a broad-based movement committed to an achievable strategy towards a zero-carbon economy in our region. Here are some of the planned events:
- Equity and Ecology – Building a Fair and Sustainable Local Economy
2:00 – 5:00 P.M., 25 September 2015, St George’s Centre, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3BR
With Councillor Judith Blake, Leader of Leeds City Council
Supported by Third Sector Leeds Environment Forum
- Zero Carbon Yorkshire – Yorkshire Energy Futures Conference
A major conference on accelerating the transition to a renewable energy economy, featuring initiatives from the community energy, municipal and commercial sectors.Date and venue to be confirmed – currently planned for Spring 2016 in Hull
- One Planet York Festival
Showcasing both commercial and community-based examples of the ‘Ten Principles of One Planet Living’ developed by Bioregional Ltd. and WWF (more info at www.oneplanetliving.com/)
- ‘Made in Bradford’ local economy festival
A community event highlighting new forms of cooperative and social enterprise, in collaboration with Bradford City Council – also planned for early 2016
- Strategies for a Sustainable World
A residential intensive for environmental and social activists – in partnership with Oasis School of Human Relations. To be held in Spring 2016
- Equity and Ecology – Building a Fair and Sustainable Local Economy 2:00 – 5:00 P.M., 25 September 2015, St George’s Centre, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3BR
- Schumacher North Hub Meeting
Monday May 18th, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at Ebor Court, Skinner Street, Leeds LS1 4ND
- Schumacher North Annual Gathering
Saturday April 25th, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Carlton Hill Quaker Meeting House, 188 Woodhouse La, Leeds LS2 9DX
- “Green Surge” at Schumacher North Windmill
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 7.00 p.m. – 1 Gledhow Park Road, Leeds, LS7 4JX
Chapel Allerton ward Green Candidate Mags Shevlin tells us why she decided to take this step and what the Green Party stands for. We all get to discuss the issues surrounding whether to vote Green in local and national elections in May.
- Schumacher North North-East ‘Windmill’ Evening
Tuesday December 9th,7:30 p.m. at the Star and Shadow Cinema, Stepney Bank, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2NP
The Windmill evening is an informal get-together where we can toss ideas around, watch a film or short presentation of any kind, share some food and generally get to know one another and explore ways to build a better future for ourselves and the planet.
We will begin with food and informal conversation, followed by a film:
Earth As Community: Satish Kumar at the Leeds Schumacher Lectures, 2007
Find out more on our Facebook event page >>
- Rebooting Schumacher North – A General Meeting and Facilitated Workshop
2.00-5.00p.m., Saturday 29 November at Ebor Court, Skinner Street, Leeds, LS1 4ND
Join us for a facilitated workshop where we’ll explore new directions for Schumacher North and find out how your insight, ideas, skills, time or energy could help Schumacher North to move forward.
Find out more on our Facebook event page >>
- Enough Is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources A film by Tom Bliss based on the book by Rob Dietz and Dan O’Neill
7.30 p.m., Wednesday 12 November at the Culture Lab, University of Newcastle King’s Rd, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
Dan O’Neill will introduce the film and lead a discussion afterwards Click Here to book in advance – Requested Donation £1 It’s time for a new kind of economy We’re overusing the … Read more
- Dare to be Great – A One Day Workshop with Polly Higgins
12.30 – 6.30 p.m., 15 November 2014, Friargate Quaker Meeting House, Friargate, York YO1 9RL
Polly Higgins is an inspirational example of ‘Daring to be Great’! A barrister and international lawyer, in 2008 she launched a campaign to have ecocide (extensive and long-term environmental destruction) recognised as a crime under international law. Her campaign has received massive support and publicity and … Read more
- Ecological Pilgrimage: Towards a deep conversation with the Earth – A Talk and Discussion with Peter Reason
7:00 p.m., Tuesday 28 October – Oxford Place Centre, Oxford Place, Leeds LS1 3AX
7:00 p.m., Wednesday 29 October – Friargate Quaker Meeting House, Friargate, York YO1 9RL
How can we fashion an adequate response to the devastating and unsustainable impact of human activities on the biosphere? Significant change toward sustainability requires a fundamental shift in our sense of who we humans … Read more